1 pheasant, 1 partridge, 1 pigeon
bunch of fresh thyme
2 sticks celery
25ml extra virgin olive oil
100g streaky bacon , in the piece if possible;e
50g wild mushrooms
25g baby onions ( frozen are fine)
250ml chicken stock
25g butter, 25g flour for the cold roux
Preheat the oven to 160c Gas 4
1. Butcher the birds. Remove the legs and the carcass undercarriage. You should have the breasts on the bone, then the legs and bones on the board.
2 Place the 25ml oil and 50g of butter in a large saucepan. Fry of the bird crowns with the thyme.
3 When the skin has browned, add the legs and the bones. Fry to brown off the bones.
4 Chop the onion,the celery, the carrot.
5. Add the chopped vegetables to the pan.
6.. Fry for 5 minutes then place on the lid. Place in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes.
7. Cut the smoked bacon into lardons. Fry quickly in a dry pan to crisp.
8. Add the torn wild mushrooms. Add the baby onions. Fry for five minutes to colour.
9. Make the cold roux. Mix the 25g of soft butter with 50g plain flour.
10 Remove the crowns of pheasant, pigeon and partridge from the the pan. Put to one side, cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
11. Add the port and brandy to the pan with the bones, legs and vegetables. Bring to the boil.
12 Add the stock, bring to the boil and boil to reduce the volume by half.
13. Remove the breast meat from the crowns, add to the pan with the bacon, mushroom and onions. Strain the liquor from the saucepan onto the breast meat.
14. Return the pan to the heat and stir in the butter and flour mixture to thicken the sauce. Add a final 25g of butter to the sauce. Stir to dissolve.
15 Add the chopped parsley. Mix all ingredients and place into a serving dish. Serve immediately.