Makes 4 slices bread or scones
75g plain flour
200ml full fat milk
200ml Woodfordes Wherry beer
125g Smoked Norfolk Dapple, grated
1 dessertspoon Colman’s wholegrain mustard
Lea & Perrins sauce
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Add the flour, stir vigorously. Cook on a low heat for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Bring the milk to the boil. Add to the butter/flour mix, a little at a time, stirring vigorously.
- Add the cheese and the mustard.
- Add a good dash of Lea & Perrins sauce. Allow the mix to cool slightly.
- Thickly cut 4 slices of good quality bread, and toast.
- Spoon on the rarebit mixture.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place on the bottom of a grill until lightly golden in colour.