450g/1lb plain flour, plus extra for dusting
4 tsp baking powder
85g/3oz cold butter, cubed
350ml/12fl oz milk, plus extra for glazing
250g/9oz assorted cheeses, crumbled into small pieces, plus extra grated cheese to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles coarse, fresh breadcrumbs.
- Pour in the milk and mix with a wooden spoon to create a soft dough.
- Add the crumbled cheese and ensure it is evenly distributed by gently kneading the dough with your hands.
- Shape the dough into rough rounds (it may be too cheesy to use a cutter!) and place on a baking tray dusted with flour.
- Press down on the top of the ball to flatten it slightly, then brush it with a little milk to glaze.
- Grate some extra cheese over the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes, or until the cheese topping looks golden-brown and crisp.
- Serve warm with your favourite chutney or pickle.