Makes 8 portions
1 loaf of brioche
6 egg yolks
1 litre whipping cream
1 vanilla pod
180g caster sugar
125g ready-to-eat dried apricots
icing sugar to dust and caramelise
- Simmer the vanilla pod in the cream for at least 20 minutes.
- Scrape the seed from the pod into the milk, and discard the pod.
- Slice the brioche lengthways.
- Prepare a custard by whisking the yolks, whole eggs and sugar.
- Pour on the boiled cream.
- Layer the brioche with the chopped apricots into a suitable sized dish (approx. 18cm x 12cm).
- Sprinkle on the whisky.
- Pour on the cream; do it in two stages to allow the brioche to soak up the custard.
- Place the dish into a deep tray, and fill the tray with hot water until it reaches half way up the sides of the pudding dish. You may find it easier to fill the tray with water after you put it into the oven.
- Bake at Gas Mark 3/170C for 60 minutes, until the custard has just set.
- To finish, dust on plenty of icing sugar and caramelise with a blow torch or under a hot grill.