Double Baked Cheese Soufflé
Makes 4 large souffles
2 whole eggs, separated
150g Binham Blue cheese (you can use whatever your favourite cheese is, or a combination, as long as it's strong in flavour!)
salt and pepper
pinch of smoked paprika
pinch of English mustard powder
- Heat the milk with the pinch of smoked paprika.
- Gently melt the butter, add the flour and mustard powder, and cook for three minutes over a medium heat, until the flour is cooked and it has a sandy texture.
- Gradually add the hot milk, stirring vigorously, to make a smooth thick sauce.
- Fold in the cheese, to mix thoroughly.
- Separate the eggs.
- Whisk the whites to stiff peaks.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly, then beat in the yolks.
- Gently fold in the whisked whites.
- Butter and flour the ramekins.
- Fill to the brim of the ramekin with the souffle mix.
- Bake at 140C, Gas mark 1 for 45-50 minutes until the souffles are set.
- Turn out the souffles when still warm.
- When ready to serve, place the souffles into a dish, pour on a little double cream and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Place in a preheated oven 180C, Gas 5 for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.