Makes 2 portions
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 dessertspoons extra virgin olive oil
125g arborio rice
500ml vegetable stock
250g diced pumpkin flesh
25g roasted, crushed hazelnuts
25g pumpkin seeds
a bunch of fresh sage, roughly chopped
half a glass of dry white wine
50ml double cream
50g freshly grated Parmesan
a splash of pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- Finely chop the red onion and slice the washed leek.
- Place the stock on to boil.
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges, peel, remove the seed and cut into small dice.
- Simmer the pumpkin in the stock for 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large thick bottomed pan.
- Add the onion, the leek and the garlic. Cook until the onion has softened.
- Add the rice to the pan, stir around in the hot oil, cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Ladle the boiling stock, one ladle at a time, into the rice. Ensure that the stock has all been absorbed, before adding more stock. Stir continuously.
- When all the stock has been absorbed, stir in the pumpkin, the Parmesan, the chopped sage, and toasted hazelnuts.
- Finally add the white wine and the cream and season well with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- Ladle into a serving bowl and toss on a few toasted pumpkin seeds, and if you have it, a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil.