3 medium eggs
1 sponge disc approx. 7cm diameter
125ml single cream
50g fresh raspberries
25g raspberry jam
chocolate ice cream (or whatever flavour takes your fancy)
125g caster sugar
- Separate the eggs.
- Place 75g of the caster sugar into a bowl with the egg yolks.
- Whisk thoroughly.
- Pour on the hot cream, whisking continuously.
- Return the cream and yolks to the heat. Take care: do not boil the mixture, and stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly.
- Add the marmalade. Pour the custard into a clean bowl, cover and chill.
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, add the remaining 50g of sugar, and continue to whisk until stiff and glossy.
- Do the upside down meringue test - if it stays in the bowl, great, if it falls on your head return to previous point and start again!
- Place raspberry jam onto the sponge base.
- Add fresh raspberries, and the ice cream.
- Pipe on the meringue. Ensure the ice cream and sponge are completely covered with the meringue.
- Place in a pre-heated oven, 200c/Gas 6 for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the chilled marmalade custard into the base on the dish.
- Carefully life the Alaska from the tray and onto the custard.
- Decorate with fresh raspberries and serve immediately.