Makes 1 x 10 inch/25cm deep tart tin
For the Pastry:
175g butter (frozen)
25g icing sugar
For the Filling:
200g granary breadcrumb (white bread if preferred)
75g mixed nuts (pistachios, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts)
200g black treacle
100ml double cream
- Sift the flour and the icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Grate the frozen butter into the bowl, and rub into the flour as quickly and as gently as possible.
- Add the beaten egg, and a little cold water to bind the pastry together.
- Gently knead the pastry to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to fit the tartlet case.
- Using the rolling pin lift the pastry on top of the case, and push the pastry into the edges of the case.
- Cut the edges of the pastry flush to the top of the tart tin.
- Place the breadcrumbs and treacle into a bowl, add 2 eggs and mix together.
- Add the nuts and the double cream.
- Peel and chop a dessertspoon full of orange zest, add to the mixture and squeeze in the orange juice.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- Bake at Gas Mark 5, 200C for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.