This is a popular dish throughout South Asia and is very cheap to make. You can use a green pepper but a red one works better as it adds some colour and looks great. The dhal isn’t particularly hot and thanks to the green apple it is slightly tart. It is delicious served hot or cold.
Serves 4 (freezable)
225g split red lentils
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Madras curry powder
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 small red pepper
1 small can chopped tomatoes
1 green apple
few leaves coriander
1. Put the water in a pan and add the turmeric, ginger, cumin and salt. Bring the liquid up to the boil and stir in the lentils
2. Dice the potatoes and add to the lentil mixture. Simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are nearly cooked.
3. Dice the red pepper and slice the onion, then fry until soft.
4. Finely chop the garlic and add this to the pepper and onion. Stir in the curry powder, and add the chopped tomatoes.
5. Stir the pepper, onion and tomato mixture into the lentils, then simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Grate the apple. Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the apple.
7. Spoon into attractive dishes and decorate with coriander.